Tricor is used for controlling high cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood. It is used in combination with a diet that is low in cholesterol and saturated fat. Tricor is a lipid-lowering agent. It works by lowering elevated blood triglyceride levels by making the liver produce fewer triglycerides and increasing the elimination of triglycerides from the blood stream.
Use Tricor as directed by your doctor.
- Take Tricor by mouth with or without food.
- Swallow Tricor whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing. Do not take chipped or broken tablets.
- Take Tricor with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- If you also take a bile acid-binding resin (eg, cholestyramine), do not take it within 4 to 6 hours before or 1 hour after taking Tricor. Check with your doctor if you have any questions.
- Take Tricor on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- If you miss a dose of Tricor, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Tricor.
Store Tricor between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C) in a moisture-protective container. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Tricor out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Active Ingredient: Fenofibrate.