Tamoxifen is used for treating breast cancer that has spread to other sites in the body. It is also used along with other medicines to treat other types of breast cancer. It is used in women who are at high risk for breast cancer and in women with DCIS (after surgery and radiation) to decrease the risk of developing breast cancer. Tamoxifen is an antiestrogen. It works by blocking the effect of estrogen on certain tumors. This may prevent the growth of tumors that are activated by estrogen.
Use Tamoxifen as directed by your doctor.
- Tamoxifen may be taken by mouth with or without food.
- Take Tamoxifen with water or another nonalcoholic liquid.
- Swallow this medication whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Continue to take Tamoxifen even if you feel well. Do not miss any dose. Taking Tamoxifen at the same time each day will help you to remember to take it.
- If you miss a dose of Tamoxifen, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Tamoxifen.
Store Tamoxifen between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C) in a tightly closed, light-resistant container. Store away from moisture, heat, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not take tablets after the expiration date printed on the label. Keep Tamoxifen out of the reach of children and away from pets.