Bactrim is used for treating infections caused by certain bacteria. Bactrim is an antibiotic combination containing a sulfonamide antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Use Bactrim as directed by your doctor.
- Take Bactrim by mouth with or without food.
- Bactrim works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- Take Bactrim with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL). Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Bactrim is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- To clear up your infection completely, take Bactrim for the full course of treatment. Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Bactrim, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Bactrim.
Store Bactrim at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep in a tight, light-resistant container. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Bactrim out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Active Ingredients: Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim.