Alphagan is used for lowering eye pressure in patients with wide-angle glaucoma or high blood pressure of the eye. Alphagan is an alpha-3 adrenergic agonist. It works by lowering the fluid pressure inside the eyeball and increasing fluid drainage from the eyeball.
Use Alphagan as directed by your doctor.
- Do not stop using Alphagan or change the dose unless advised to do so by your health care provider.
- Remove soft contact lenses before you use Alphagan P; lenses may be placed back in the eyes 15 minutes after use of Alphagan.
- To use Alphagan in the eye, first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eye for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean, dry tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- Instill 1 drop into the affected eye(s) 3 times daily about 8 hours apart or as directed by your health care provider.
- More than 1 eye medicine may be used to lower eye pressure. Use the products at least 5 minutes apart.
- Do not use more medicine than prescribed unless advised to do so by your health care provider.
- Contact your health care provider at once if you feel you have used too much of Alphagan.
- If you miss a dose of Alphagan, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Alphagan.
Store Alphagan at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 20 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Alphagan out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Active Ingredient: Brimonidine tartrate.